[CCC News] Assorted News 61: Unusually Busy in May.

Michael Kean michael at coolhelp.com.au
Tue May 12 18:27:22 AEST 2020

*Unusually Busy in May - Tomato Farm automation project.*
*CovidSafe Download*
*Home Visits Resumed*
*SMS over WiFi has arrived for Telstra / Boost customers. *
*Where's the Commodore?*

*----------------------*

*Unusually Busy in May - **Tomato Farm automation project.*

Well, every day can bring something different in this game!

For the next two weeks or so I'll likely be tied up for most of the day
assisting with an automation project at the Guyra tomato farm. (Equipment
installers couldn't travel due to you-know-what.) I will probably still be
able to reply to texts etc, but may be unable to offer on-site or remote
control assistance during these days. For urgent problems you may need to
try:

   - Armidale Computers (67712712),
   - Ultramac (67712266),
   - David McKay (67792132),
   - NorthTEC (67720442) ,etc.
   - Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/groups/254099934760561/>.

*CovidSafe Downloads*

The CovidSafe app appears to be safe to download. People have examined the
source code to verify that it does what it says on the tin. Note that if
your mobile is more than a couple of years old, or is a cheapie, it might
not be able to run CovidSafe

Here's the download link for Android
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=au.gov.health.covidsafe&hl=en_AU>
 and iPhone <https://apps.apple.com/au/app/covidsafe/id1509242894>

*Home Visits Resumed.*

With the recent lifting of some restrictions, and the introduction of the
CovidSafe app, it seems safe for me to resume in-home services. I'm still
taking various precautions such as hand sanitiser, social distancing etc.
However, if an outbreak occurs in our region or the government switches us
back into the previous level of lockdown, I'll again cease home visits. My
Guyra office is still configured to be Covid-19 resistant.

*SMS over WiFi has arrived for Telstra / Boost customers. *

For those of you out on farms / living in mobile blackspots, the recent
introduction of SMS over WiFi will at last fully solve the problem of being
able to use your mobile without mobile reception. For more information head
to this Telstra page
<https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/mobiles-tablets/telstra-wi-fi-calling/what-is-telstra-wi-fi-calling#wifi-sms>
.

If your phone isn't compatible, the Samsung A20 is probably your cheapest /
best value option at $229-$279. This handset supports WiFI calling and WiFi
SMS, as well as NFC, so you can use it to tap and pay.

By the way, I think Boost is still the best value plan at $150 for 80GB
<https://boost.com.au/shop/150-prepaid/> Internet + all Australian calls /
texts for a year, on the Telstra network. Covid-19 may delay sign-ups
though. Lots of good offers out there at the moment though.

*Where is the Commodore?*

At 540,000km it's developed a transmission leak, and the front wheel hubs
are getting noisy. The transmission leak from the pan is conveniently close
to the catalytic converter, so I'm often treated to a unique odour when
idle! Thus, I've put it in for repairs. The Bluebird and Magna are still
going fine. The Kingswood is off rego at the moment - needs a little
attention, which needs spare time!

---

Well, that's it for Newsletter 61. I hope you're all doing well and
surviving the enforced holiday that some of you got! I had a slowdown
through late March, early April but now days are full again.

--
*Proprietor, Cool Country Consulting.*
Trading Hours: 10am to 8pm weekdays.