[CCC News] A quick update on Covid-19 :)

Michael Kean michael at coolhelp.com.au
Tue Mar 17 23:47:41 AEDT 2020

G'day all!

Just wanted to let you know that if you're looking at working from home,
you might be looking for a way to remotely access a work computer from home.

There's a few ways you can do this. The most well known is TeamViewer
<http://teamviewer.com>, but it's horrendously expensive. The one I
recommend the most is AnyDesk <http://anydesk.com> as it's much cheaper /
free, does the same thing and doesn't hassle you if they think you're
'using it too much'.

With these apps, you set a password when you install it on your work
computer, and use that password to access the computer from anywhere. (You
might need to tell your work computer not to sleep.)

Other useful things to consider are making use of Google Drive or OneDrive
so you can synchronise files between your work and home computer
effortlessly.

As for myself, I am a moderate risk person given I travel to many locations
and touch many mice and laptops. I'm doing what I can to keep clear of the
virus. If I get the symptoms I'll go into "work from home" mode. I can also
use either of the above apps to fix many problems remotely.

May your rice and toilet rolls be plentiful, your surroundings clean, and
your TV and radio entertaining!

Cheers, Mike.

--
*Proprietor, Cool Country Consulting.*