[CCC News] Caution: Don't open "Refund from the Tax Office", "Speeding Fine" or "Package from AusPost" email attachments.

Michael Kean michael at auzzie.net
Fri Nov 28 09:27:07 AEDT 2014

Hi all.

Just a quick note that the CryptoLocker virus I mentioned some months
ago in a newsletter has been upgraded and is doing the rounds again.
I've had two instances already, and Armidale Computers has had six.

If you receive an email from the "Office of State Revenue", "AusPost"
or the "Australian Tax Office" with an attachment, please don't open it.
If you do, it will encrypt all the personal files it can get to, and
then request a ransom of about $600 to recover them. If you don't pay
that ransom, your files are not retrievable unless you have an
unaffected versioning offline backup or a good cloud backup.

For more information:

http://www.finance.nsw.gov.au/scammers-email-fraudulent-fines
http://betanews.com/2014/11/24/cryptolocker-the-comeback-malware-reemerges-ready-to-steal-your-money/

Cheers, Mike.