[CCC News] Assorted News 42 - Cheap computers, new antivirus, and looking for a cot. :)

Michael Kean michael at auzzie.net
Sun Mar 18 14:20:34 AEDT 2012

*In this edition:
**
*Just a weird assortment of stuff.
*
**Assorted News:
*    A secondary Virus Scanner that works...
     Business server owners: Small "Remote Desktop" threat coming?

*Handy Tips:
*Possible way to save small amounts of money with Internet Banking.
     Cheap computer setups for under $700
     Phone and Laptop batteries often $30 or less.
*
Shop:
*WiFi 7" Galaxy Tab for sale.
     Two more reconditioned laptops for sale shortly.

*General Rambings
*     Cot needed, for a week over Easter.
     Kambrook home automation / power saving units.

*
*

*A secondary virus scanner that works...

*After a few quiet months, it seems viruses are becoming an intermittent
problem again.

Over the last few weeks I've had a few computers come in with assorted
ailments. The most common symptom has been a virus which takes over
"Google". Every time you search for something on Google it would
redirect your results to something completely unrelated, resulting in
income for the virus writer, and annoyance for the computer's owner.

The first time I struck this virus, I ran five common antivirus programs
through it, and none of them could find anything. I gave up, wiped and
reloaded that computer.

When the same virus turned up again on another computer, this time I had
the luxury of more time available to research the problem. I found a
link to "HitMan Pro <http://www.surfright.nl/en/downloads>" which I'd
never heard of before; gave it a run and in under 10 minutes it had
found the cleverly hidden bug and removed it.

Normally you shouldn't run two antivirus programs at the same time as
they can end up fighting with each other. However, HitMan Pro is
designed to work in a way that should be compatible with all virus
scanners; so if you want a 'second opinion' on if your computer is clean
or not, try it out. If it finds something you can activate the free 30
day trial.

You can download it from http://www.surfright.nl/en/downloads

*Business owners: Potential "Remote Desktop" threat coming?*

Just a small heads-up that a vulnerability was recently discovered in
the Remote Desktop server software that could allow other people to hack
your server. See
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/bulletin/ms12-020

In most cases, servers are protected by a firewall and will be updated
automatically; but I'm aware of a few customers who are not using VPNs
on their Remote Desktop and have it exposed to the internet, and thus
could be at risk.

*
Possible way to save small amounts of money with Internet Banking.*

Here's my personal strategy on saving small amounts of money with my
bank, the Community Mutual group. Other banks might be similar or better.

Note: I'm not an accountant or in any way qualified to give financial
advice!

/*Strategy 1 - Finding a High Interest account.*/

This is probably pointless if you have money owing on either a credit
card or a home loan with ready redraw capabilities, since it probably
makes more sense to put any spare money into those items due to their
higher interest rates. However, assuming you do have a few grand kicking
around in on-hand savings, you might want to research what high interest
bearing accounts are around. For example, the CMG's S30
<http://www.necu.com.au/savingsrates.html> account will give you 3%
interest on any amounts less than $10,000. Granted that's not much
money, and probably only keeps up with inflation, but it's better than
nothing, and since it's not tied up in any way you can still get to it
at will. It's also 'safer' than playing the stock market, etc.

/*Strategy 2 - Sub Accounts.

*/One thing that surprised me about CMG after switching from a standard
bank was that you could create 'sub accounts'. You can take money from
your main account and transfer it into these sub accounts online. I
don't know if this is common for other banks and credit unions. In my
case, I opened a few sub accounts, then via Internet Banking, I
customised the names to things like "Tax", "Health", "Electricity",
"Auto" etc.  Then, also via Internet Banking I created scheduled
transfers of small amounts each week / fortnight / whatever into these
sub accounts; such that when those bills come due the right amount of
money is already 'reserved' for them.

One of these sub accounts is also linked to a Visa Debit card, which
means that if my credit card is ever compromised, they can only get
whatever is in that sub account.

Another nice thing about sub accounts is that if you ever have a SHTF
moment and run out of money on the main account, the sub accounts are
raided to cover the debt. This is useful for me since I have about 80
direct debits a month for about 2 grand, and a moment's inattention
could cost me a tonne of 'direct debit dishonour' fees. (Of course,my
situation is probably a bit unique, but I imagine some small businesses
have similar risks.) Not all banks or accounts would necessarily
function the same way.

/*Strategy 3 - Combine the two.

*/Since you can readily rename sub accounts, and you have a high
interest earning account as well, you can be cheeky and periodically
move the money from the sub accounts into the high interest account,
renaming them as you go with whatever their balance should have been at
the time you raided them. It's a bit fiddly, but for a couple of hundred
a year saving it might be worth it.

*Cheap Computer Setups for under $700

*I used**to be a fairly regular Dick Smith customer, but recently Bing
Lee seems to be beating them pretty well on entry level computers.

In the last month I have set up three new computer systems for
customers, each for under $700 in parts. These have been with relatively
low-end dual core or Core i3 computers with 2-4GB of RAM running Windows
7 and Office Starter 2010. In all cases they've been primarily for basic
office work which is not particularly demanding. Each has had a 21.5"
screen, a cordless keyboard and mouse.

The unexpected element of this is that all of these have been laptop
computers, in use as desktop computers.

The biggest advantage of this setup is that you get two screens - the
laptop's own screen plus the 21.5" one next to it. This means you can
have your email open on one screen, for example, while working on the
other screen in your accounting programs or on the Internet, etc. And
since you're using a full size keyboard and mouse your experience is the
same as having a desktop computer.

Other advantages:

  * Uses less power than the average desktop
  * Power cord readily replaceable if it breaks
  * If it has an HDMI connection, easy connection to a TV to watch
    online movies, Internet TV, iView, etc.
  * Built in battery backup

Main disadvantages

  * About 20% slower to boot due to lower speed hard disk relative to
    desktop.
  * Need to pick it up every six months and blow the dust out of the fan
    vents.
  * Less USB ports. (But add $40 7 port USB hub to solve.)
  * Easier to steal.

So, if you like desktops because of the bigger screens, or you don't
like laptops because of those finger pad thinggies, there is an
affordable solution. Especially since flat screen monitors are coming in
under $200 these days. Of course, you do also get what you pay for, but
sometimes having the fastest / newest available is not necessary. These
machines are all about the same speed as the laptop I still use daily.

*Phone or Laptop batteries often $30 or less.

*Do you have a laptop with a dead battery, or an older phone that just
turns off mid-conversation? You might want to go to eBay and type in
your model number plus the word battery. Many laptop batteries can be
found for around $30, and many phone batteries for around $10 -
including postage.

Of course, these are possibly of questionable quality, so review the
seller's history and ratings first; and be aware of the slightly higher
risk that your device might go up in flames unexpectedly.

*Shop:

*In addition to the 7" Samsung Galaxy WiFi only currently for sale for
$300, I will also have two more laptops available shortly. One HP DV6000
dual core with Windows 7, Office 2007, 30 min battery and slight yellow
tint to screen due to age for $150. Also, possibly a Compaq Presario
CQ61 for $150 with Vista, 2GB RAM - still awaiting parts for its
reconditioning but seems like it will be a good computer too.

I'll throw in a three month warranty on 'em.

If you have any laptops less than 8 years old that are in some way
'broken' and you want to see if they're sellable, or you just want to
get rid of them, let me know :) All reconditioned laptops are first
securely wiped of their personal contents. Just like human organ
donation, sometimes laptop parts are transferable. (My Toshiba laptop
now has a Packard Bell screen!)

*Cot needed for a week over Easter break...

*Heh - I bet some of you got excited and thought I was starting a
family! That's not a priority for me since in my mind there are already
enough people in the world; but my sister decided a couple of years ago
to invest in one :)  She, her partner and her now two-year-old
kiddliewinx (not that's not her real name) is coming from the UK to
visit for a few days over the Easter break, and I don't have a suitable
sleeping vessel for such an item. (Well, actually there are a couple of
wooden trunks, but I imagine that removing the solid wooden lid would
not be deemed appropriate!) So, if you happen to have a spare child
sleeping accommodation vessel that will house a genus Human @ ~730 days
old, I'd be interested in renting it. My father will also be visiting -
so if you see him don't be fooled. I haven't found a delorean!

Failing that, I can grab one on eBay, but not sure what to do with it
afterwards... I'm sure I'd come up with something 'tho... Massive
version of Mouse Trap??

*Kambrook Home Automation units.

*If you've visited my home / office before, you've probably noticed how
many things are automated. For example, the lights, the stereo and
heater come on as you walk in various doors depending on which room
you're in, etc - but the heater will only come on if all doors are
closed first and it's less than 17.5 degrees. Yes, I like gadgets.

There are a couple of devices you can buy that can help save on power usage.

Bunnings sell a 'pack of three' switched power units with a remote
control for $30. Using these, you can plug in one or more devices and be
able to turn them on and off with the remote. In my case, I have six
printers on one button (why I have six printers I don't know - I don't
print anything any more) - the dishwasher on another button, a bug
zapper on another, the entire craft room on another, the bedroom stereo
and tv, set top box, vcr on another, etc. The idea being of course that
you can shut down all power to things you're not using, rather than
leaving them on standby or having to reach for the power switch.

Another product which I've only seen at Crazy Clarkes so far is a power
board for about $20 which has one master and three slave sockets. The
idea being that when you turn on the master device (a TV for example)
the other devices are then switched on as well. This would be mostly
useful for a TV with several other gadgets attached such as DVD, BluRay,
Games, VHS, Satelite boxes, etc, or could be used with a computer to
automatically power up the printer, modem, etc.

Of course, if you're really into home automation, there are much more
advanced systems you can buy - this is entry level stuff.

*Change providers?

*Also a reminder that you can get a comparison of electricity providers
on sites such as Switchwise.com.au <http://www.switchwise.com.au/>. My
experiment with Dead Bird power (Dodo) has so far been OK, albeit a bit
slow to change over, at 21.9c/kwh ex GST vs 26.2c/kwh ex GST on Origin,
approximately. The paying ahead caveat doesn't worry me, but it might
worry you.

Well, that's it for another newsletter - this one a little early since
I'm running out of time to order a child containment vessel.

Happy Easter for the religious among you, Happy Chocolate Scoffing day
for the rest of you :)

*Old Editions
*You can find old editions of this newsletter on  the CCC Blog.
http://auzzie.net/cccblog/

You can also subscribe or unsubscribe at
http://auzzie.net/mailman/listinfo/ccc-news_auzzie.net
*
*

Michael Kean
*Proprietor, Cool Country Consulting.*
Trading Hours: 10am to 8pm weekdays.
http://coolhelp.com.au/
Tel: 02 6775 0239 Fax: 02 8212 9582 Mob: 0427 644 825
Chat contacts: WLM: michael at auzzie.net Skype: cccons